Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How can I make a really good plain thick skin jacket potato?

I only have a regular oven, but some places make it with a really good thick crusty skin which I love.... any advice?





other places make it really thin yuck skin (which I think is just boiled or microwaved)... this is NOT what I want to acheive.





Any suggestions would be V. much appreciated.





Thnx


Zen|||microwave (10 mins for soft inside)





put very small amount of butter on outside of skin





wrap in foil and bake for 30 mins then take away foil and bake it for another 10-15 mins.|||The only way I know to get a crunchy skin is in a normal oven, the skin can%26#039;t be made thicker, it depends on what potato you use.|||Put it in oven rapped in tin foil.|||A friend tells me you have to cook it for a long time on a low heat till done then a very high heat for the last 20 min. Like gas mark 3 for 2 hours then mark 9 to finish.|||Use sea salt crystals. (Don%26#039;t use butter or foil, that%26#039;ll just keep the skin moist.)


Wash the potato and jab it few times with a fork and then whilst it is still a bit wet roll the potato in the salt crystals - this%26#039;ll help dry out the skin.


Bung it in the oven on gas mark 6 for about an hour.


Bung it back in for a bit longer if it doesn%26#039;t feel soft enough inside (jab it with a fork) or crispy enough on the outside.|||Lay down sea salt on a pan. Wash your potato and allow to dry. Coat it with olive oil, and poke holes in it with a knife then wrap with aluminum foil. Bake at 400 for about an hour or until it gets soft.|||I would cross the potato and then place directly on the shelf in preheated oven at about 220c for hour and a half. This is how me and my mum do because we much prefer a thick crusty skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment